Tuscany, Montalcino
Pinino

Pinino wine estate was founded in 1874 by Tito Costanti, public notary of Montalcino. In 1950, Pinino was inscribed to the Brunello Winemakers Cadastal Register. The estate is located to the north of Montalcino embedded into the hillside of Montosoli, a favourite destination for the wealthy of Montalcino in the 18th century. Today, 16 hectares are planted with Sangiovese grapes. Four hectares are located in the Pinino estate, with a southern orientation and Galestro earth.  The remaining 12 hectares are located in the Canchi estate with a south-eastern orientation, with soils consisting of a mix of clay and lime-rich ground.

In 2003, the property was purchased by Max and Silvia Hernandez from Spain and Andrea and Hannes Gamon from Austria. The families shared a passion for cultivated cuisine and fine wines and decided to produce premium wines in a joint-venture. The renowned oenologist Paolo Vagaggini is also part of the team.

The maximum harvest of Pinino ranges from 50 to 60 centum weight of grapes per hectare, approximately 20% below the allowed maximum production according to Brunello syndicate standards. The grapes are picked by hand and transported only in small crates to avoid squashing. Plant density ranges from 3,300 to 5,000 grape vines per hectare and the grape vines are between 15 and 20 years old.

The vineyards are maintained by organic methods. In the cellar, Selector and Selecompact tanks developed by Gimar are used. After a long alcoholic fermentation of 15-20 days on the mash, and after the completion of the malolactic fermentation, the wine is filled either into large barrels of Slavonian oak or into French oak barriques from Taransaud, Remond and others. The Brunello di Montalcino remains there for at least 24 months, and the Rosso di Montalcino for at least for four to six months. Pinino and Brunello di Montalcino are aged in large classic barrels of Slavionan Oak.

PHOTO